Beautifully preserved Victorian mansion in the Carpenter Gothic style, dating from 1876. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The restoration and maintenance of the house and grounds is an ongoing project for the current owners, who are both architects. The house is oriented toward the west, and receives particularly beautiful afternoon light.
The first floor includes a front parlor with a grand piano and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the wraparound front porch. A pair of large pocket doors leads to the living room, which is centered around a (non-working) fireplace. A formal dining room connects to the kitchen, which features original cabinetry. Five bedrooms and two bathrooms are located on the second floor. Three of the bedrooms include original marble-topped sinks. In the attic, the walls in the main space are hand-painted with whimsical hares dating from circa 1915. The magical journey of the house culminates in a two-level tower with views of New Haven laid out beneath.
No nailing or painting of walls.
No use of fireplace.